I cannot believe it's been 10 years since I graduated! But, I do prefer being 32 to being 22. It was great to see so many old friends. I have been horrible about staying in touch, but it has been hard with everybody moving all the time. Finally, it seems that most of us have settled in one place for a while, so I am going to make an effort to do better.
It was amazing to see my college buds as parents, surgeons, and world travelers. I am happy that everyone is doing so well. By the way, we have a relative who also graduated with me in 1997. Miles Cliatt is Aunt Inez's grandson. We did not know each other well, but he was always close to my friend Deanna, and they are a couple now, living in Atlanta.
One of the highlights of the trip was visiting my friend Caroline and her husband, Noel, at their new home in Piedmont, just south of Greenville. They are both doctors and have been bounced around for the last ten years with school. residencies, etc., and they are happy to be settling near family. Their house is gorgeous, on a hillside, looking out through the blazing colors of the trees. I wish I had taken pictures, but we hope to go back soon to visit.
On Sunday, Scott and I worshiped at Trinity Lutheran and then had lunch with Pastor Susan Crowell and her husband and daughter. Susan is from Little Mountain, and so we had a special kinship when she was our campus minister at Furman. She has now been at Trinity since graduating from seminary and is still loving it. It was great to see Susan and Mark, and we are also going to make more of an effort to stay in touch with them.
The Furman campus was, as always, breathtaking, but I have always thought it is most glorious in the autumn. We could not have asked for better weather. It was amazing to see the changes on campus. It still looks like FU, only better. The interior renovations in the classroom buildings and library were incredible. Kids these days are spoiled rotten! High tech everything, cushioned seats, beautiful appointments all around. I also enjoyed seeing old professors - and they remembered that I am from Prosperity! Poor Scott hurt his knee last week, and I was dragging him all over creation, but he seems to be doing much better now.
One funny story - my friend Christina and her husband Dave now have a 2-year old, Will. Both being Furman grads, they calculated how much it might cost to send him to Furman one day. As a result, they have decided to degrade Furman in front of Will as much as possible! They said he needs a tshirt that says "Both of my parents went to Furman, and all I get is this lousy tshirt!" Still, we wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. Here's a little peak at my alma mater.

2 comments:
Okay here's my deal. I had never even considered Furman until the other day when I got this really cool DVD and they had pretty pictures and nice people and just a lot of things that make you go oooooo. Well now I'm at a loss because on one hand I have a million bajillion dollars and on the other I have ooooooo.
Post a Comment